Vertiv Geist Rack UPDU
Vertiv Geist UPDU Product Overview
Vertiv Geist UPDU Comparison Guide
Vertiv Geist UPDU Colour Coded Outlet Guide
Vertiv geist UPDU User Manual
Vertiv Rack PDU - Quick Installation Guide
Best Practices for Network Connectivity to Intelligent Rack PDUs
Universal Power Distribution Unit (UPDU)
The UPDU is the most versatile and robust rack power distribution unit on the market with a universal power input and pivoting connector that can mate to any geographically specific Facility Side Cable (FSC), simplifying management and enabling rapid IT infrastructure deployments. The UPDU features a universal input and a detachable power cable meeting AC power specs that are common worldwide ranging from 16A to 63A, 120V to 415V with single and three phase power configurations. Models available in 11kW and 22kW max power load capacities in both vertical and horizontal form factors with various receptacle combinations, monitoring and outlet control options.
The universal design enables a single unit to be purchased, installed and shipped to any location around the world, regardless of the regional power infrastructure. The UPDU power configuration is determined by the connected Facility Side Cable (FSC). Change the Facility Side Cable (FSC) to adjust the input power configuration of the UPDU.
Reducing the complexity of IT power infrastructure deployments with the Vertiv™ Geist™ Combination C13 / C19 Outlet.
As well as the benfits of the universal input and the Facility Side Cable (FSC), the Vertiv Geist UPDU also offers Combination Outlets eliminating the complexity of deploying and managing IT rack configurations by adapting to any mix of hardware power configuration needs. When purchasing equipment, IT managers no longer need to define the type of IEC receptacle required or specify the location of receptacles on the rPDU, because every outlet accepts both C14 and C20 plug types. Moreover, data center managers can now avoid having to replace rPDUs as rack and power configurations change over time, substantially improving the lifecycle and return on investment for rPDUs. The Combination Outlet is available on the Vertiv™ Geist™ Upgradeable Basic, Metered and Unit-Level Monitored rPDUs, and Geist™ UPDU models.
The Vertiv Geist UPDU becomes universal because the physical rPDU—the receptacles, the conductors, the breakers, and the onboard telemetry—remains the same regardless of geography. It can be shipped around the world, and inventory can be shared amongst different sites. The UPDU receives its identity from its FSC. For example, depending on where it’s installed or what it needs to power, the same chassis can simultaneously be:
- 208V single phase, 32A
- 208V three phase, 32A
- 208V three phase, 63A
- 400V three phase, 32A
The Universal Input
The ingenuity of the UPDU lies within the FSC assembly. The conductors are spliced differently within each model so that, once connected to the male end of the UPDU, the downstream components in the UPDU (like breakers and receptacles) are wired to output the connected power configuration (line-to-line or line-to-neutral). The physical chassis is upgraded with oversized wiring between the female connector and the breakers to accommodate the highest supported amperage. All breakers in the UPDU, furthermore, are double-pole to accommodate all possible power configurations.
The Combination Outlet C13 / C19 is a 2-in-1 receptacle functioning as both an IEC C13 and C19. Simplify the rack PDU buying process and accommodate ever-changing rack power requirements with the flexibility to connect C14 and C20 plugs in the same outlet. There is no longer a need to determine the number of C13 and C19 receptacles required at the time of rPDU purchase based on equipment power needs. Every outlet on the rPDU is a Combination Outlet C13 / C19 providing flexibility and peace of mind at the time of purchase.
Additional benefits include high retention outlets reducing the risk of costly downtime from accidental disconnections of the power cord and flexible cable management by connecting IT equipment to the nearest available combination outlet, as well as colour coded circuit and outlets to help phase balancing.
Selecting a UPDU
Step 1. Select a UPDU model based on anticipated maximum rack power usage
Step 2. Choose between a 2U Horizontal or 0U Vertical and various outlet configuration options.
Step 3. Determine the level of monitoring and management features needed. If you select an Upgradeable model, the technology can be upgraded as technology advances or business needs change.
- The universal power input can mate to any geographically specific FSC, Facility Side Cable, and is designed to operate with variable power input configurations (defined by the connected FSC).
- The Pivoting Connector adjusts from 0 to 90 degrees to assist with power cable routing.
- Global compliance certification includes: UL Certified, CE Marked, China RoHS, RoHS Compliant, and RCM Mark (EMC only).
- High Temperature Grade 60°C for high temperature environments.
- Available in vertical and horizontal rackmount form factors.
- Hot swappable network management card which is field replaceable without affecting the power of the UPDU.
- Simple and quick installation in all standard racks or cabinets with included mounting brackets.
- Simple and convenient chassis colour configuration options from standard Black to Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, or White.
- TAA compliant.
- The Universal Input enables users to utilize a single UPDU model with various input power configurations to simplify inventory management and enable rapid deployments worldwide.
- Increase or decrease UPDU power capacity by changing the FSC to adapt to fluctuating equipment power needs.
- Upgradeable models allow users to upgrade the hot-swappable monitoring device on the fly to leverage new technologies and accommodate changing business needs.
- Remotely reboot outlets to power cycle unresponsive IT equipment or increase runtime of critical equipment upon power failure with outlet-level control on select models.
- Reliable power distribution with local and remote power monitoring available on select models offer quick access to critical power usage information to evaluate energy usage trends and maximize uptime.
- Monitor power consumption at the outlet-level on select units for a detailed view of power distributed to specific equipment with the outlet level option.
- Environmental monitoring capabilities available on select models ensure users have critical infrastructure data at their fingertips.
- U-Lock receptacles on select models secure power cords and avoid accidental disconnections.
- Every unit is 100% tested for reliability and functionality to ensure units function as designed.
- Standard three-year warranty, upgraded to five years with product registration.
- Save time and money by pre-integrating Vertiv Geist rPDUs with the VR Rack.
Best Suited For
Banking, Financial and Insurance
Broadcast and Entertainment
Military, Defense, Aerospace and Missile
Construction and Engineering
Oil and Gas
Power/Gas Transmission & Distribution
Retail & Wholesale
Vertiv Geist rack PDUs come with a standard three year warranty that is automatically extended for free to 5 years if the product is registered within 120 days of purchase.